SSL Protocol makes online transaction secure from potential threats, providing a better and secure environment to company servers and its clients. Still due to lack of awareness SMBs, turns into victim of cyber fraud that resulting in loss of whole business. Therefore, it is wise to think about your business security first rather than its profit. In this article, we would like to show the adoption and market share of different SSL CAs (Certificate authorities) on the base of report made by W3Tech. This report is based on some technical methodologies that are shown below.
- The report investigated technology of website if found on any pages rather individual web pages.
- It includes top 10 million website (out of which counted top 1 million before June 2013) using “Alexa ranking” counting 3 months average rankings.
- It has considered sub domains as a part of website.
- It has not included redirected domains.
Beside the given chart, many authorities claimed less than 0.1% of market share like
|QuoVadis||Hongkong Post||Japanese GPKI||TWCA|
|NetLock||A-Trust||Certigna||Japan Certification Services|
SSL CAs with Market Share: The below image shows four categories including self-signed certificate users, none, unrecognized authority and different CAs with absolute usage (%) and market share.
How to read the chart: If we see in given chart, we will find 58.1% of organizations are not applying SSL certificates from any certificate authority that is good news for hackers and opens the door for future threats and vulnerabilities.
If we look from the point of view of market share it shows Symantec stands alone with 40.2% and it is being used by 12% of all the websites globally.
Detailed Study of top four CAs: Here, the detailed study is given of top four certificate authorities with usage percentage and market share percentage.
Symantec Group: Symantec is a giant enterprise focuses on online security complying with industry security standards. Below diagram shows sub categories of Symantec group with its absolute usage. GeoTrust is used by 68.6% of all websites who make use of Symantec Group.
There are famous sites who are clients of Symantec Group like Facebook, Google, YouTube, Yahoo, Amazon, Taobao, Twitter, LinkedIn, Orkut, Lovetime, Lalima, etc.
Comodo CA: Comodo authority is a well-known certificate authority and claims second position in usage with 27.9% market share. The absolute usage percentage of Comodo stands at 8.3% of all websites.
There are sites like Craigslist.org, Ehow.com, Popads.net, Siteadvisor.com, Goal.com, Usps.com, Hostgator.com, Terra.com.br, Groupon.com, Hubpages.com use Comodo Certificate authority’s SSL certificate.
Go Daddy CA: Being on third position Go Daddy has achieved 13.5% market share with 4.0% absolute usage of all websites. Below diagram shows sub categories of Go Daddy group with its absolute usage. Go Daddy is used by 92.5% of all websites who make use of Go Daddy.
Famous sites like Vk.com, WordPress.com, Conduit.com, Adf.ly, Vube.com, WordPress.org, Wigetmedia.com, Slideshare.net, 4shared.com, Blogfa.com have chosen Go Daddy CA.
GlobalSign CA: GlobalSign is a fourth number certificate authority that has 9.3% market share and carries 2.8% absolute usage of all websites globally. The sites that has opted GlobalSign certificate are Bbc.co.uk, Iminent.com, Soundcloud.com, Glispa.com, Mypcbackup.com, Myspace.com, Youm7.com, Constantcontact.com, Likes.com, Sulekha.com
Historical usage chart (since August 2012) of different certificate authorities for websites:
Below table shows the percentage of usage of different certificate authorities that shows number of websites in Aug 2012 who had not chosen SSL certificate for their website and left vulnerable towards hackers. On other side, you can see almost 10% organizations are still using self-signed certificate that is also invites danger to website. Online shoppers generally avoid self-signed certificate as the owner himself signs it, and has no third party authentication.
Recommendation: From the above report we can understand that rising of security demand is seeing everywhere still there are almost 58% enterprises are left vulnerable without proper online security and 10% enterprises are still using self-signed certificate therefore it is necessary to point out the advantage of third party SSL certificate that is in the interest of every online enterprise.
Advantages of Third party SSL Certificate:
- Online shoppers keep faith in trusted third party SSL certificate so enterprise will have more profit when users prefer their website equipped with third party SSL security.
- It comes with robust encryption (256-bit) and root certificate (2048-bit) that protects online information in a secure manner.
- Phishing, man in middle attack can be mitigated with third party SSL certificate.
- With robust encryption, user information is kept secretly so attackers cannot interpret it.
- Even PCI (payment card industry) allows only SSL equipped website as it carries secured confidential data over the server.
- Third party SSL involves organization validation that creates online credibility of business in front of visitors.
- Third party CA does all the formalities in getting SSL through internet hence; in initial validation stage there is no requirement of paper work.